Thursday, May 29, 2008

More research stuff: Jessa's first participant observation!

Today I went to an arts class, designed to facilitate cross-community ties as well as to teach marketable craft skills and math. I quilted a potholder! (Okay, I sewed the little strips of fabric together and the teacher did everything else). The instructor was an imposing, gregarious woman who was mortified that I didn't know how to use a sewing machine and tutted over my ironing abilities. I was actually very glad to have her bossing me around, though, because sometimes when I'm nervous my brain switches off and I just need someone to tell me what to do. My nerves were acting up because was my first participant-observation, which is a research method for collecting qualitative data.

The students in the class were a little quiet at first. One of the employees at my organization warned me that people in Derry are wary of outsiders who come in to "study" them. Once I started talking about where I was from and my family, they let their guard down and became very friendly. One of the students spent a lot of her time helping me each time my thread disappeared into the sewing machine. Another person told me that the program had cured her of a recurring health problem.

I actually found that quilting a potholder was very relaxing, and was surprised at the complexity of some of the students' projects. To tell you the truth, when I first walked into the class I looked upon quilting as sort of provincial. Actually, though, there is a lot of thinking and math that goes into getting the patterns and measurements right, and you have to cut and sew very precisely to get a good product. I asked what happened when someone messes up, and one of the students said “we just don’t. The fabric is too expensive.”

Tea time was the best; the chatting and social time are as important for the program's success as the employment skills. I had a very enlightening conversation with the program coordinator, who explained to me that the type of reconciliation that goes on in that room is very under-the-surface. When you are in the company of normal people in Northern Ireland (it's different if you're with a public figure), it's considered a faux pas to bring up religion. The people in the class never talk about what religion they are; however, you can almost always tell whether someone is Protestant or Catholic by where they live. The way the coordinator explained it to me is that there is a collective ethos of moving on from the past that gives people a sense of hope and progress, but it also prevents people from bringing past wounds out into the open.

Actually, the class itself illustrates a peacebuilding theory that if you set people to work on a common goal, they will forge bonds that help them overcome their differences. I was very impressed when one of the students asked for help on a problem with her project and all of the others came rushing over to help them work out a solution. After they were done helping, one of the students piped up, "is it tea time yet?" If you ever go to Northern Ireland, be prepared to have a lot of tea and "biscuits" (flaky, thin sugar cookies).



Yes, when it comes to things that I make, functional DOES mean ugly.

3 comments:

SingerDancer3 said...

I'm completely embarassed that MY daughter doesn't know how to sew, or to iron for that matter... Mortification... can't show my face in public... lessons to begin July 28th!!! Oh, and it's not so bad, it will make an interesting conversation piece...

Jessa said...

Haha, thanks for the encouragement! Although I usually do okay finding things to talk about without the help of a potholder. Or anything, for that matter :)

By the way, I'm not saying no one (nudge, nudge) ever TRIED to teach me how to sew. I'm just implying that it didn't stick due to my un-domestic nature.

Amit Deutsch said...

...un-domestic nature? You never told me anything about un-domestic nature. Oh God, what have I gotten into...

Oh, and you should submit your potholder to the modern art section of the Tel Aviv Museum of Art. Just pretend it's really deep. Remember that one exhibition, 'The Turtle Won't Stop Laughing at Me'? It's gone :(