Saturday, May 24, 2008

Honey Roasted Peanuts


There's something about overnight flights that I just love. I love all flights, actually. I even like airplane food. (I know, right, my profile interests say good food?) I think it has to do with the yearly trips we would make back to Maryland to see Grandma Margie. My theory is, if you want your kid to like flying, take them early. Actually--I take that back--my theory is that all parents with infants should be guided into a soundproof compartment and locked in for the entirety of the flight. Oh, come on, I'm not that cruel. We can give them a few bags of honey roasted peanuts before we shut the door.

Overnight flights are great for a number of reasons. British Airways has an almost infinite selection of music, movies and TV shows. That alone makes me feel like King for a Day (or a really good internet pirate). You get to see the sun rise and set. They still serve food on overnight flights. People are paid to bring you pretzels (or snack mix, if you're lucky) and drinks while you sit on your bum. And you get to watch your plane on the little tracker computer thing. To me, this is heaven.

They also use the planes that have a little extra seating room--a big blessing for the usually overcrowded international flights. I lucked out--although the plane was 99% full, the middle seat in my row was empty. I got the window, which is my favorite spot. The guy sitting on the aisle was a 20 year old American college student heading for a semester in Amsterdam. He took full advantage of this academic opportunity to drink every bottle of wine that they brought him (plus all of mine). Way to get a head start on school, dude! Ah yes, on overnight flights, they also bring you wine.

4 comments:

Shawn Leen said...

Good evening! But I don't know where you are now, may be you are still in great sunshine at your time zone!:-)
Your experiences are cool enough for me! I am from China, have u ever been in this country? if you have , i am sure it has given you passsion! if not, i hope you can be here, and enjoy living here!
i am 22 years old and love Eagles,U2! and sometimes really fall in love with Soft music!
and i am interested in hiking and strenth exercises.
would you like to be friends with me? i would like to !:-)
so contact with me
shawnleen@gmail.com
shawnleen.blogspot.com
waiting for you!

Anonymous said...

This post made me crack up - don't tell anyone but I like airplane food too! And just thinking about honey roasted peanuts makes me hungry. Airplanes really are the best place to just be lazy [when else can you watch movies all day while demanding water and peanuts?]

I'm glad you're having fun and i hope to hear about your travels [which are ridiculously cool].

-abe

Shawn Leen said...

Hi,Abe, interesting to hear from you, you like to say something about your travel. well,i said before in my last comment, that you will fall in love with chinese perfect travel service, and, i think you definitely like to travel as a comfortable "foreigner" in a foreign country, which is quite different from yours -- culture, food, and people around you.
you asked me to talk about my travel. my pleasure! but unfortunately, i haven't traveled abroad.:<
when i was 20 years old , with my girl friend i traveled over China by air, it was in 2001, our service is supplied by China southern airline, and also we have a good lunch up in the thousands inches sky, interesting, sitting with us is an American.
"Airplanes really are the best place to just be lazy "that's right, but have you experienced what we call airsickness! Wow, perfect or not?!:>
Shawn
ps. i have got some pics about our trip

bob said...

What you said about kids on planes goes for restaurants as well.
I also think that anyone who brings a baby to a movie should be charged double